Tuesday 15 March 2011

Teaching Patience

As I have mentioned before, Ethan has Aspergers, and as a result of this, he sometimes has great problems with patience.
If something doesn't go as planned immediately for him, it is likely to be scrunched up and thrown violently as far away as possible.
This was always a problem when he was at school, work which in his mind has too many errors, or the wrong look, or not enough content, would be destroyed in a fit of exasperation. He would then finish off the grump by sitting with his arms tightly folded staring off into space completely ignoring the teachers pleas to get him to start over again.

Obviously, now that he is a little older he has learned to cope better in situations where his fuse runs short (usually because of his brother annoying him, which in the past would result in tears and often the need for a plaster and some hugs).

However, I noticed the other day that he still attempts things with a 'must complete perfectly' mentality. It's as if he is in competition with himself over everything.
Take for example, a drawing he was doing. He was designing a complete new race of alien beings, and his work was several pages long with diagrams for landscapes, building types, weather systems, different sorts of vehicles, and of course, what each species of alien being looked like, along with a list of individual attributes for each. However, when one of the designs went slightly wrong - and I couldn't even see what he was referring to when he pointed it out - he very nearly lost his rag to such an extent that everything could have been destroyed. Which would have been a real shame, since he had spent so much time working on it. 

So, I decided to think of ways to try and improve his general level of patience, and to try and teach him the advantages of having a longer fuse than most. 

I am an extremely patient person. It takes alot these days for me to snap. But I also appreciate that this is something which has developed with age, rather than it being something which I was born with. As a teenager I was hideously short tempered. I do believe that having children has taught me the skill of allowing the little things to just wash over me, and it was this I wanted to impart to Ethan.

So, after some scouring of the interweb, I came up with....a rubber band ball. 

I could apply the teaching of physics to it (because at first Ethan saw little point in actually doing it) and at the same time, I hoped the simple task of sitting, and adding each band would increase his patience.

Of course, at first, the bands popped off, and some snapped, and Ethan would growl and slam his fist into the sofa cushions, and call the whole thing daft..but we persevered, and I showed him different ways of applying the bands to reduce the number of times they would ping off, and gradually I noticed him 'sinking' into the activity.
He even took his ball into the bath with him yesterday!

We talked about the importance of not loosing faith in whatever we are doing. And how some things which seem important at the time - like getting a race finished, or a drawing perfect, or a shoelace to tie up without being too tight - usually aren't.

I think it was the first time anyone had approached him with a different angle, a different thought process to employ when things seem too much. 

I understand that with Aspergers, most of the time their reactions are just that..impulsive reactions to external stimuli which occur before they have the time to think it through. But I also believe that patience can be taught, and subsequently learned.

He is now painting the downstairs bathroom as I also believe this is a good life skill, and quite a relaxing one once you get into it.



Loz

8 comments:

  1. Hi Loz, this sounds so much like N you could be describing her. Since home educating I feel much more able to cope with it, as I feel more relaxed myself, but I have this nagging worry at the back of mind... what if she never learns patience, what if she carries this temper with her throughout her life, how will it affect her future relationships (work, friends and family). All I can do is persevere. I must say that the recovery time after outbursts is now much shorter and within 5 minutes or so she can see the error of her ways, its just before that she is uncontrolable and I am completely unable to reason with her.
    I agree I look back at my 'youth' and I don't think I learned true patience until I had her when I was 23!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could tell HCC LA about this method of rubber band ball for patience.One of those LA officers was always wanting to shout down the phone about what you should be studying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @homeschool family, I think some kids handle getting older better than others. At the age of 11 E was a complete nightmare, and you could hardly communicate with him at all, but thankfully he seems to have come out the other side of it.
    N is a very sensible girl from what I can make out, and with an equally sensible and capable mum (that's you btw) I am more than sure she will be fine. :)
    I think sometimes, you just have to let them go through that stage, in order to be able to understand that there is a better way..if that makes any sense. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Loz, I needed to hear that, particularly as we have been having a challenging couple of weeks, and when that happens you start to question yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @homeschool family You are more than welcome S. I actually admire N. She is a happy, confident girl, and this is obviously a reflection of her upbringing. So don't fret. You are quite plainly doing an excellent job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. homeschool family is spot on, a relaxed parent really helps the situation

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Explosive-Child-Ross-W-Greene/dp/0060931027
    This is a great book, all children are "explosive" from time to time.

    This is lovely regardless of your religion

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhism-Mothers-Approach-Yourself-Children/dp/1741140102

    Loz it's likely that Ethan will grow to be an pretty ordinary but amazing adult, he may not appreciate you sharing this much so publicly about him. Is there a way for you to have these conversations without affecting your children's privacy.

    Interesting blog though.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Loz it's likely that Ethan will grow to be an pretty ordinary but amazing adult, he may not appreciate you sharing this much so publicly about him. Is there a way for you to have these conversations without affecting your children's privacy.'

    Ethan is more than aware of what I write here, and is quite happy about it - he is often present when I do, and I certinaly run it by him, whatever I want to publish first.
    But thanks for commenting anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Elizabeth why do you think he poses for the picture so much? lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx