Tuesday 8 March 2011

Building bridges - physics.

Today, we attempted some more physics, by building some bridges.
Now, I know we should have used A4 paper in the experiment, however, all I had to hand at the time was some thin A4 card - obviously, this did have an effect on the outcome of our experiments which I'll go into later.

The point of the task was to see which shaped structure would hold the greatest weight (in the form of a bottle of water) before failing.


Ethan firstly thought of various shapes, then set to making them. He was allowed to use some tape, but only to hold together the shape (it didn't in any way support or add strength to the structure).

He made a circular tube, a square tube, and a triangular tube, all of which were bridged over a 21cm gap.

The bottle could hold a maximum of 1 litre of water.

We had some initial success, and by this I mean the structure failed once a certain amount of water was added to the bottle, however we soon realised that thin card is far too strong for this experiment to be a true success.







With the square and triangular tube..we ran out of water before either structure was showing signs of failing. Therefore we abandoned the experiment, thinking it best to wait until tomorrow when we could get some normal paper. Ethan however agreed that it would be interesting to rig it all up again and continue with the two experiments side by side to see exactly how much stronger the thin card is, compared with just paper - whilst at the same time, finding out which structure is best suited as a bridge, and can hold the most weight.
So, somehow, we have managed to create a multiple experiment, which not only includes physics, but also maths.

It is exactly this element of Home Education which we love. The freedom to just let things take us where they naturally progress to, and enjoy the ride. :)



Loz


6 comments:

  1. you think home education is better than a place at Eton college? where our great leader David Cameron M.P went?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met David, and he is indeed a very nice chap - away from the political pomp. However, I'm not really at liberty to make an informed opinion as to whether Eton offers a better education than HE, since I have nothing to base such an opinion on. I'm a lowly mixed comp educated lass. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing to base such an opinion on. I'm a lowly mixed comp educated lass. =P

    but you have seen and met our great leader David Cameron M.P who went to Eton he is a product of this! you must have an opinion? dont be shy your never shy on other subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not shy..I just don't have enough information in order to make an informed opinion about which is better.
    If I were to speculate, then I would say neither is better than the other, because both are too different to make an accurate comparison.

    If I wanted my child to receive the same level of education as an Eton educated child, but didn't have the finances to get that for them, then I would work hard to try and give them the same learning opportunities, with similar methods and resources as they would be offered in Eton. However, without having experienced what an Eton based education is like, I could never be certain that I was providing enough to successfully compete with Eton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I wanted my child to receive the same level of education as an Eton educated child, but didn't have the finances to get that for them, then I would work hard to try and give them the same learning opportunities, with similar methods and resources as they would be offered in Eton.

    you would have to work very hard and have a very high paid jobmost people dont have high paid jobs) to do this you would need to have thirty thousand pounds to spend which is the amount it cost to send a child to Eton this would not include any extra that Eton offers!


    no state school or home education for Cameron straight to Eton for him i wonder why? in fact most of our M.P's send their children to private school but expect the rest of us to send our children to the local state school dont do as i do but do as i say is our M.P's way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fantastic experiment Ethan, well done, and one that can be done outside in the sunshine. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx