Friday 3 December 2010

Fitters and footers...

Last night, I found myself lost for words. A rare event.

After the fitter had left my husband and I stood back to take in what he had done in all its glory. At which point, my husband nearly popped an artery with laughter.

Take a look at this picture. Now, granted, if like me you have no idea about fitting kitchens, you may not immediately see what the problem is. But let me explain...
You see, this is a corner where two of our brand spanking new kitchen units meet. Both should be drawer line base units (which as you can see, the one on the left is, and one on the right isn't).
However, the genius of a fitter has made a crucial error in this installation.


I am in this picture holding up a piece of wood in the exact position where the drawer should be. Notice the lack of space on the other unit for either a drawer, or a door even!!!
The fitter installed 3 units. screwed them together (unlevel, but that's another story) but either forgot, or didn't know that he had to use spacers in this corner.
Yes, I sound like I'm just going on and on about it, but seriously, when you have someone in your home to make improvements, the last thing you expect them to do is make a hash of it. But, having said that, it's a sad sign of the times that service in general isn't what it used to be.

......................................................

On a lighter note, Ethan made another of his tape sculptures today, this time his left foot. The plan is to make every part of the body and eventually join them all together. Ethan has had great fun in figuring out how to make the structure stronger, musing over alternative materials, and even delving into the thought of much larger scale applications. 


He wants to create a permanent structure from his tape 'casts', so he has also looked into using plaster of paris at some point. The idea being to create a tape replica of himself, then eventually a full sized 'statue' of himself which he then plans to decorate abstractly in some way. Personally, I love watching him experiment with new things like this, and also beginning to think outside of the box. 
Art was never something Ethan showed a great deal of interest in, but then I don't think anyone had ever approached him with any ideas other than the usual things you expect at school. 
He has even talked about what it would be like to re-create a full sized house from tape...or at least something big enough for a couple of adults to comfortably move about in. I love the ideas and can't wait to get hold of some industrial sized rolls of sticky tape. :)  



Loz x

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I feel rather speechless about your kitchen fitter.... but very excited about the art modelling, its so cool, we may have to try it at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that you have now sorted out the fitter and will finally get a competant one that at least has a vague idea of how to complete the job!- great work from Ethan and so imaginative- delving into art can be such an eyeopening experience for anyone who has never even considered themselves to be traditionally'artistic' and it allows the imagination to really kick in!
    Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loz, where is the button for me to follow your blog?! I'm still a bit of a dunce to all this blogging-malark.

    Ha, and Ethan is going to make a tape sculpture of...everypart of his body? :P

    Can't wait to see you guys as Chrissssssseeeeeeeyyyyyymas!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bruv... Look the top banner, there is a follow tab you can click, and it will automatically make you a follower. or you can scroll down to the bottom of my page, and there is a follow tab there too if you wish to follow using google friend connect!

    And I am hoping Ethan has the sense to only make a sculpture of the main bits of his body..if you know what I mean.. :P


    Really looking forward to seeing you gyus too, should be funnnnnnnnnnnnn !!! :)


    Loz x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx