Monday 6 December 2010

Fighting Frustration....!

It's another Monday morning, the fog is shrouding everything in an eerie gloom, and my kitchen is still no closer to being finished. At 8.20 this morning, the new fitter came and began to organise himself. At 8.50 he left the house to get some things which he needed, and here, at 11.30..he's still not back. As a result of all this fannying about, my patience is really wearing thin with everyone.
Poor Ethan tried to explain to me today, that he has been thinking about his future, and instead of games design, he would love to go into film making, and would I be able to help him discover more about it. 
In principle, that is fine. He wanted to know some basics, so we researched it and printed off some worksheets and some explanatory notes and set to discussing what we had found. 
Then...he yawned.
Now, I know it was just a yawn. Everyone yawns...and not always because they are tired or bored. But I - in my current frazzled state - took it personally.
He began to complain that he couldn't understand what was written in the research notes we had found...I begged to differ arguing that if he couldn't understand simple notes, then he would be stuffed when it came to trying to understand anything more complicated, and that if he couldn't persevere with two sheets of paper he ought to give up now (basically, I know this is one of Ethans' ploys to get out of having to read something).  
I do not adopt a completely autonomous routine with Ethan. I cant afford to. If I were to leave him to his own educational devices, he would flop and flap about all day not actually doing anything. I know there are some out there that will argue that that is the best way for someone to learn, but I know categorically that it is not the best way for Ethan to learn. So whilst I try to allow him to discover as much as he can on his own, and I have no concerns with what methods he decides to use, or how long or how little he takes with something (or indeed, what that 'something' may be), I do like to keep some basis 3 R's routine in with it.
So when he turns his nose up at having to read something, or yawns when I am trying to explain to him what he couldn't be bothered to try and understand in the written notes, yet he still insists on wanting to know more about it, I begin to pull my hair out and my fuse comes dangerously close to burning out.

This is the first proper upset we have had together, and i do believe it is mostly because of the stress of not having a kitchen - that is after all where we do most of our work together, and we had such a nice routine going, which has been recently thrown into the air and scattered to the four corners of my sanity. 

I am hoping that as this week goes on and we can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel, and things begin to feel something closer to normal, that things will settle down and our routine will continue.

Anyway, I will update later, as matey has just walked in through the door, and is cracking on as I speak. lets hope tomorrows pictures show a little progress.

Loz x

1 comment:

  1. frustration is a real motivation buster! keep telling yourself that it truly is only temporary and that pretty soon all will be back to normal- in fact better than normal!! Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx