Friday 7 January 2011

Education overload!

Over the past 10 years I have intermittently been studying with the Open University. I stress that I have not been doing so because of any career goal in mind, but more for personal achievement, which is why I decided to go for the Open degree route, as opposed to the Honours route. Sometimes, it is hard explaining to people that the Open University degree is equal to that of any other brick uni, and can on occasion be even more highly regarded by employers because of the dedication it takes to complete a distance degree. But there are always some that fail to understand this, thinking that if you have not actually attended a brick university the resulting degree is not a real one (or something equally ridiculous). 
Anyway, my next course starts in March, and this time I have decided to go for science, which both Ethan and I enjoy. I have decided to opt for one of their easy taster courses thinking it might be an ideal opportunity to allow Ethan to have a look as well. After all, when he is 16 he too will be eligible to take an OU course and there are so many to choose from. He has shown alot of interest in their Arts and Humanities courses and since at the moment he has no interest in working towards GCSE's or A levels, the OU seems to be the perfect solution.

Personally speaking, I cant talk more highly about the OU. Their support system works exceptionally well, the course materials are clear and concise and there is always someone on the end of a phone to help you should you need it, and you don't particularly want to wait for a reply to an email (I am the eternal techno-phobe).

It would be interesting to find out if any other HE families have used the OU, or at least what their thoughts are on it.


Loz x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx