Friday 18 February 2011

The TV debate

Recently, Channel 4 has put on some really interesting and educational programmes which Ethan and I have enjoyed watching, these include Rome Wasn't Built In A Day, http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rome-wasnt-built-in-a-day 
and The Elephant: Life After Death http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-elephant-life-after-death

There seems to be a feeling among some HE families and mainstream families too, that the use of a TV is unnecessary, and actually hinders the learning process in their children. To some extent I agree with this. I certainly do not allow my children to spend countless hours sat goggle-eyed in front of pointless moving pictures and excessive sound.
I do however, believe there are many benefits to having a TV - if only for occasional use. The documentaries which I find are varied and almost invaluable when used as visual support to any written work Ethan may be doing.
Recent topics have included The Romans (which includes visits to Roman villas, aqueducts and Roman baths), general biology and geography, including life processes, plant and animal cell function, and how the environment affects change to both animal and human life.
I have been able to find good supporting material, which allows Ethan to see what he has learned via textbooks, and practical experience, and it gives him a psychological break from books and talking about something (in his own words).

I can understand some of the reasons behind not wanting to have a TV in the house. It can and does teach violence, bad language, narrow viewpoints on some aspects of society, and promotes lethargy in general. And I don't think we have to search too hard to find adequate evidence supporting this. 
However, I am an advocate of active parenting. That is not to say that everything I do is done with the use of a Lycra jumpsuit and excessive bouncing about, or midnight dances round an elm tree dressed only in leaves and twigs. No. Instead I opt for the harder route. I do not ban a TV from my house. I see that as the easy option. Anyone can do that. Instead, I actively control what my children see and how much of it they see. 
There are 'no TV' times during the day, and at other times, it is only what I put on which is available to be watched.
Yes, it takes some planning, and vigilance (teenagers will always try to sneak a quick episode of Dr Who in when they think they can) but I believe it teaches them self control 
and responsible viewing...after all, when they eventually leave home for the big wide world I wont be there 24/7 will I?


Loz

12 comments:

  1. Yes, it takes some planning, and vigilance (teenagers will always try to sneak a quick episode of Dr Who in when they think they can) but I believe it teaches them self control

    Whats wrong with DR Who? im a big fan of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely nothing...my sons and I love it too! However the point I was trying to make, is that if given the chance like most teenagers, my boys would be happy to sit and watch TV all day if left to their own devices. (the choice of programme was simply what came to mind first.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see! As you love DR Who that earns you a brownie point with us!

    yes i think your right about teenagers wanting to watch tv all day! and many of the soaps such as EastEnders are not good with far to much swearing and sex in them! problem is many children do watch these programmes so are we the odd ones out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, what you rightly point out is a sign of the times. Many people find TV an excellent way of either winding down after a days work, or as a built in baby sitter which will amuse their kids for hours on end...for free!!!
    We don't watch any of the soaps in my house..not because we are trying to be beter parents, but because we honestly can't stand any of them - we made an exception for the Coronation Street tram crash live episodes. And very quickly wished we hadn't.
    The kids enjoy watching things like, How Its Made, Mythbusters, and old re-runs of family fortunes! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't ban any programmes or restrict TV viewing in any way but my teenager is way too busy to spend her life watching TV - ditto my ten year old. Each to their own, of course, but I think their self-regulation has grown out of years of making choices about viewing and I don't think too much time was wasted on Scooby Doo! In fact, Scooby Doo's encounters with a mummy led us to the British Museum when they were little, so you can never tell what might turn out to be educational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Allie. yes, many times we too have seen something on TV which has naturally led to my son wanting to research it more.
    I wish I could say that my kids are as self regulating as yours... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooky, I'm just watching Elephant: Life After Death on Sky + at the moment, and I thought of you because one of the top scientists said "they have extra molars pacifically for this purpose"!! See, I said it happens on TV!
    With regards to this post, I don't restrict the amount of time N watches TV as she is the type of child that, if I said you can only watch it for 1hour, she would obsess about it and beg for more time constantly, where in reality, after about an hour she gets bored and turns it off anyway. She knows I don't want her to watch soaps, so she doesn't but who knows what will happen when she hits her teens!
    Back to Elephant Life After Death though, I agree it is a great program and there are so many good ones on television. Its just a bit too graphic for N at the mo, it's turning my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two useful articles on the benefits of TV

    http://vilter.us/Television/index.html

    http://sandradodd.com/schuyler/tv

    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CDMQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savekidstv.org.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fd%2Fcantelevisionbegoodforchildren.doc&rct=j&q=television%20children%20good&ei=D_NeTYOQOMHA8QPnoLBa&usg=AFQjCNFSI3r2aSgUyiirJl2-QlyFvucLbg

    hope they work

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allie says-We don't ban any programmes or restrict TV viewing in any way

    so you let your children watch anything that is on the TV?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @homeschool family lol...my son is completely the opposite, the more graphic the better. he loves the reality of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Peter,

    "so you let your children watch anything that is on the TV?"

    Yes - pretty much. The younger one (10) isn't generally watching TV alone past the watershed - and very rarely anything after 10pm because he's in bed then. The older one (13) watches whatever she likes. I don't say other people should take that line - each to their own - but it isn't something I worry about. Both my kids will talk to us if they see (or, indeed, read) something that worries or upsets them. Mostly they are following their interests so older one will stay up late to watch things like Question Time or the 10 o'clock show.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!! xx